|FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTRY
The Ministry of Labour undertakes several functions in order to
fulfill its mandate as stipulated in the Laws of Malawi, International Conventions and
other legal instruments.
The core functions of the Ministry include the following:
| Industrial Relations
- Enforcement of labour Legislation.
- Settlement of Industrial Disputes.
- Attend to wage complaints.
- Conduct labour inspections.
- Handling matters relating to employers and employees’ organizations.
- Offer advisory Services to Government and private sector on labour relations.
- Servicing of Tripartite Labour Advisory Council and other tripartite bodies.
||Occupational Safety, Health and welfare
- Registration of Workplaces
- Inspection of Workplaces
- Examination of Pressure Vessels and lifting Machines
- Investigation of Occupational accidents and diseases
- Conducting of Industrial Hygiene Surveys
- Planning and designing safety and health measures for workplaces
- Information dissemination and documentation of OSH affairs
|Technical and Vocational Training
- Curriculum Development and Review
- Provision of skills development
- Management and implementation of Vocational Training Policy
- Provision of methods advisory services
- Identification of technical teachers training requirements
- Registration of Public and Private Technical and Vocational Training Institutions.
- Management of technical and vocational training institutions.
- Provision of vocational training for various programs
- Administer public employment services
- Offer advisory services to Government and the Public on Labour Market policy issues
- Regulating and monitoring the labour market.
- Handling localization matters.
- Prevention of Child Labour
- Administration of Workers Compensation Fund
- Compensate and Pay Out benefits
- Certify legibility of workers’ compensation claims.
- Invest surplus funds into short and long term investments
- Rehabilitation of injured workers
Trade Testing Services
- Conducting Assessment and Certification in vocational skills acquired formally or
- Recommending policy review on matters of technical curricula and assessments
in collaboration with industry
- Providing linkage with local and international awarding bodies
- Managing Trade Testing Centres.